Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Extcap

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 14:42:37 +0200

Le 19 oct. 2015 2:30 PM, "Dario Lombardo" <dario.lombardo.ml () gmail com> a
écrit :

I'm playing with extcap, but I can't make it fully work.
I can run androiddump, and I can list the interfaces.

# ./run/extcap/androiddump --extcap-interfaces
interface {display=Android Logcat
Main}{value=android-logcat-main-XXXXXXXXXX}
interface {display=Android Logcat
System}{value=android-logcat-system-XXXXXXXXXX}
interface {display=Android Logcat
Radio}{value=android-logcat-radio-XXXXXXXXXX}
interface {display=Android Logcat
Events}{value=android-logcat-events-XXXXXXXXXX}

If I run the actual capture manually, it works

# ./run/extcap/androiddump --extcap-interface
android-logcat-radio-XXXXXXXXXX --fifo /tmp/extcap1 --capture &
# ./run/wireshark  /tmp/extcap1

But dumpcap doesn't list the extcap interfaces
# ./run/dumpcap -D
[...]

and wireshark qt and gtk don't list too, so they can't run the capture on
the extcap.

What's the part I'm missing?

Hi Dario,

extcap interfaces are not listed in dumpcap output because they are not
using th standard capture mechanism.

Instead you must ensure to put the androiddump binary in the folder
indicated in Help -> About Wireshark -> Folders -> Extcap path

Regards,

Pascal.