Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Debugging intermittent audio dropout with RTP over OpenVPN

From: Andrew Martin <amartin () xes-inc com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 15:01:05 -0500 (CDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeroen Eeuwes" <jeroeneeuwes () gmail com>
To: "Community support list for Wireshark" <wireshark-users () wireshark org>, "Andrew Martin" <amartin () xes-inc
com>
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2015 1:39:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-users] Debugging intermittent audio dropout with RTP  over OpenVPN

Hi Andrew,

however calls involving the phones
connecting over the Internet intermittently
experience audio quality problems (e.g.
calls will drop audio for 15 seconds or
audio will be very garbled when someone
talks).

I have the same problem. I have a hunch the audio problems are caused by
renegotiating the keys for the VPN by the phone. But I have not yet spent
much time studying it.

Hi Jeroen,

Are you also using Yealink phones? Do you have a copy of the OpenVPN
client config for your phones? I posted mine here, but the Yealink
support people say that the settings are correct and should work without
problems:
http://forum.yealink.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5860

I took a closer look at it and I do see the following messages in the
OpenVPN server log whenever someone reports a "bad" call:
http://pastebin.com/62gnvjdh

A description of this can be found here:
https://openvpn.net/archive/openvpn-users/2007-07/msg00104.html

Is this what you meant by the key renegotiation disrupts the calls? If so,
it seems the solution might be to set "reneg-sec 86400" (only renegotiate
once per day) in both the client and server configs?

Thanks,

Andrew