Wireshark mailing list archives

Does it make any sense to supply Radiotap + 802.11 headers for packets captured on wireless adapter for managed mode?

From: Yang Luo <hsluoyb () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 22:07:22 +0800

Hi list,

There is an opinion that packet capture library should provide:
1) fake Ethernet packets on managed mode
2) 802.11 packets on monitor mode.

And Npcap currently can supply Radiotap + 802.11 headers for packets
captured on wireless adapter for managed mode. Whether supplying 802.11 or
not is controlled by installing normal version or -wifi version Npcap. It's
not linked with the current operation mode for now.

So Npcap can provide the third option:
3) 802.11 packets on managed mode (only 802.11 data packets)

I want to know does this 3) option make any sense to anyone? How does Linux
handle this? I want to keep the same behavior with Linux.

If 3) is useless, then I will remove it

Cheers,
Yang