Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: proto.h extension (unit strings)

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 01:37:51 -0800

On Dec 11, 2016, at 11:18 PM, Michal Labedzki <michal.labedzki () tieto com> wrote:

Good idea.
I have similar problem with Bluetooth protocols. There is a lot of something like that:
"Latency = N * 0.625 ms (1 Baseband slot)"

I.e., the value of the field is the number of baseband slots, and the latency, in milliseconds, is the number of
baseband slots times .625?

So I want to display [ms] instead of [slot] (or maybe both? [new use case]). What should I do in that case (N *
0.625)?
1. use own BASE_CUSTOM (dissector files)
2. public-predefined base custom function
3. combine it with "BASE_UNIT" (unit_name_string_get_value in base custom function) or BASE_UNIT | BASE_CUSTOM?

Perhaps we could have a structure that contains 1) a set of unit strings and 2) a scale factor, and:

        if the scale factor is 0.0, there's no scaling;

        if the unit string pointers are NULL, there's no unit;

        otherwise, there's both scaling and a unit.

As for "or maybe both?", perhaps it'd be displayed as

        Latency: 0.625 ms (1)

although, for that, we might want to allow units for both the scaled and the unscaled value, to display it as

        Latency: 0.625 ms (1 baseband slot)

Should we have display-filter operators that work on both the raw value and the unscaled value, so that you could, for
example, do

        ...latency == .625

or

        ...latency %= 1

(or whatever we choose for the two comparison operators).

I think there should be abbrev-form of unit in "struct unit_name_string" (second, seconds, s) and provide user option
to choose between full-form and abbrev.

That might make sense.