Wireshark mailing list archives

Correct way to add bytes to tree

From: Juan Jose Martin Carrascosa <juanjo () rti com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 19:09:58 +0100

Hi all,

I have what I need to add bytes to a tree using proto_tree_add_item or
proto_tree_add_bytes. The problem is that I want to customize the name of
the proto_item adding a couple of parameters that I know from before.
Something like this:

given id = 5 and length = 10, tvb, offset and length. Assuming that for
example the bytes are "a05651"

Displayed content should be:

*Member (id = 5, len = 10): a05651*

However, I can't make it work properly using the _format or _format_value
variants. It ends not adding the content of the bytes:

*Member (id = 5, len = 10):*

Any help?

Thanks,
Juanjo Martin