Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Do we really need port preferences for dissectors?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 12:04:12 -0800

On Jan 31, 2016, at 9:11 AM, Michael Mann <mmann78 () netscape net> wrote:

I've ran across a bunch of dissectors lately that don't have an IANA registered port, so they add a port preference.
This is done is one of two ways:
1. Assigning their "randomly picked" port number to the preference, possibly requiring a user to change (set to 0) if
it interferes with their traffic.  Since these are usually niche protocols, I can understand someone being annoyed by
the "interference".
2. Defaulting port preference to 0, then making sure it's non-zero when registering with the (TCP/UDP) dissector
table.  If not careful, sometimes the dissector isn't registered at all, so Decode As can't be used.

Since Decode As can also be persistent, wouldn't that be a better way to (force users to) go?  To me it has similar
logic/justification as when I removed the "subdissector preferences" in favor of Decode As.  While it would be nice
to have users go to a single place to decide a "heuristic hierarchy" (a subject that is touched on from time to
time), having port preferences seems to spread it out more than necessary.

I'm hesitant because of the number of backwards compatibility issues it could introduce,

Including at the UI level; we're now getting "OK, I could change this setting in 1.12, but that setting disappeared in
2.0, how do I do that in 2.0?" questions, such as

        https://ask.wireshark.org/questions/49893/decode-as-rpc_netlogon-in-wireshark-201

        https://ask.wireshark.org/questions/49688/problem-with-ethernet-traffic-encapsulated-within-mpls

and, as I remember, others.

Perhaps there needs to be a UI for changing persistent Decode As settings that makes it easier to point people to them
- something that lets you see the settings for a particular protocol in the same way that the Preference dialog does.

BTW, at least some use cases of Decode As are really "decode *this particular conversation in this particular capture*
as XXX"; it might be useful to have a UI for *that*, which *doesn't* affect any persistent settings, but just sets the
dissector with conversation_set_dissector().