Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Current C-Standard used in wireshark

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2016 12:38:31 +0000

On 2 January 2016 at 11:30, Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin () gmail com> wrote:

Le 2 janv. 2016 12:04 PM, "Thomas Wiens" <th.wiens () gmx de> a écrit :

Hi,

I just updated my local wireshark sources and wanted to build wireshark
with Win32 / VC10.0, when compiling failed at extcap/randpktdump.c, line
297, due to variable declaration inside code which is not C89 compliant.

The README.developer states still not to use C99 features. Is the readme
not up to date, or is there an error in the file?

I have to mention that I don't have Qt installed.

Thanks,

Thomas Wiens

Hi Thomas,

For now non C++ code must still comply with C89, so this is an error that
needs to be fixed. If you want to contribute, a Gerrit patch is welcome :)

Best regards,
Pascal.

There has been some recent discussion about the use of C99, e.g.
https://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201510/msg00000.html and
https://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201510/msg00012.html.

IIRC it was felt that with modern versions of MSVC now supporting more
elements of C99 along with other platforms, a small subset of C99 would
probably be acceptable.  However, that subset wasn't really defined apart
from the mention of variadic macros and C++ comments.

Note that the buildbot slaves use, and the production versions of Wireshark
2.0.x are built with, MSVC2013.  Any plugin development that is meant to be
installed along with the production version should also use MSVC2013.

Out of interest, what are the reasons for sticking with MSVC2010?

--
Graham Bloice