Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Getting a unique list of BSSIDs

From: Christopher Maynard <Christopher.Maynard () igt com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 20:30:33 +0000 (UTC)

Anthony Critelli <critellia@...> writes:

Anyone have a good way, using either Wireshark or tshark, to get a
 unique list of BSSIDs from a capture? I've been trying to do "tshark -r
 capture.pcapng -T fields -e wlan.bssid | uniq" But this isn't working.
Maybe I'm missing something, but when tshark outputs the BSSIDs, each
one is different, even when they visibly appear to be the same. Confirmed
this
with od, and the octal dump of 2 seemingly identical lines (human
readable) are
different. It also seems to randomly throw empty lines in there. This is
preventing uniq from doing its job.
Am I misunderstanding the usage of tshark? My understanding of the syntax
above would be that it should just output a list of all the BSSIDs in the
capture, and then I'm just piping it to uniq to filter out duplicates.

Maybe try something like this?

tshark -n -Y wlan.bssid -T fields -e wlan.bssid -r capture.pcapng | sort -u

- Chris