Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: How to "unsort"

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 17:52:02 -0700

On Mar 15, 2016, at 5:15 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 1:23 PM, Perry Smith <pedzsan () gmail com> wrote:
I’m using Wireshark 2.0.1 on a Mac.  I really enjoy the new UI.

I click on a column to sort the output by that column.  Is there a way to undo this?

I know I can click on “No.” but that appears to be slightly different.  Any adjustment now makes a second pass
‘sorting by No.’ whereas before it did not need the second pass.

That's the right way to do it.  When you haven't sorted on any particular column then the display is sorted by the
(Frame) Number column.  By sorting by that column again you should be returning to the initial state.

What do you mean when you say "any adjustment" leads to a "sorting by" pass?  What kind of adjustment?

Changing a protocol preference, for example.  (Reproduced on a Very Large Capture I have.)

I was curious how various applications implemented "go back to unsorted", assuming they did so at all, so I did some
Web searching and didn't find anything obvious.  I'm not sure whether *any* toolkit with a

It might be possible to special case "sort by number in ascending order" as "don't sort", but that might require some
significant changes to the way the packet list works, perhaps with the "proxy model" stuff discussed in the thread
containing this message:

        https://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201506/msg00088.html