Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Adding pcap-ng pipe support to dumpcap

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 14:09:10 -0400

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Aug 31, 2017, at 3:37 AM, Ed Beroset <beroset () mindspring com> wrote:

On 08/30/2017 09:31 PM, Guy Harris wrote:
On Aug 30, 2017, at 6:00 PM, Ed Beroset <beroset () mindspring com> wrote:
but I can't help but think that the general approach you describe is
the better long term strategy.
Probably.  It means that the interface between *shark and extcap
programs would be different - but, while having extcap programs behave like
dumpcap might complicate the extcap programs (although some of the code to
do that could be in a library used by dumpcap and by extcap programs), it
might simplify the Wireshark capture code path.

I'm not sure that the interface between dumpcap and Wireshark/tshark
would need to change to accommodate a wider variety of inputs via pipes.

It wouldn't.

The interface between *extcap programs* and Wireshark/tshark would need to
change if we want to have extcap programs work like dumpcap, so that they
talk directly to Wireshark/tshark, and write directly to a capture file,
rather than talking to dumpcap by sending packets over a pipe.  That was
Stephen's suggestion, and I think it's worth considering.

A counter argument to this would be that there are some advantages to not
using a (temporary) file as the buffer packets.  The ones I've had in mind
for some time are:
* Bug 2234 (filtering tshark captures with read filters (-R) no longer
works) - an Known Problem in our release notes since privsep came in.
* Bug 1650 (dumpcap can remove a ring-buffer file before *shark has read
it; the resulting packet loss is reasonable but error presented to the user
is quite bad).
* Just the general idea of using (slow) files for a buffer.