Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Setting to disable all expert info

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 22:05:21 +0200

wireshark-dev () wireshark org>:

Here's my scenario :

I am planning on using the Wireshark parsing engine in two ways :
1) process massively large captures
2) process live traffic, hopefully in the long term in a permanent manner
once the memory growth of the engine can be controlled

Did you have a look at
https://blog.wireshark.org/2014/07/to-infinity-and-beyond-capturing-forever-with-tshark/
?

In both cases, my automation does not care about any experts at all, it
only needs the field information (length/offset/name/hierarchy/encoding...)
so these experts are consuming memory for nothing in our case.

As Wireshark evolves, new dissectors get added, which might add new
experts, and not having a global setting to turn them off would force us to
repeatedly search for new experts appearing, which is not a great
experience.

Now granted, I haven't done measurements on how much memory they consume,
the current experts might not represent much, but it's hard to judge when
experts can appear in any new dissector, one could appear tomorrow that
significantly alters that.

Indeed they probably do not represent much compared to all the fields
registered by dissectors. Moreover you are the first one I remember asking
for such a feature. Like Jaap, I do not think this is a good move as of
today.

Thanks,

Hassan