Wireshark mailing list archives

Adding verification functionality to SIP dissector

From: Erik de Jong <erikdejong () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 20:56:31 +0100

During my day job I have noticed that sometimes combinations of certain
platforms have trouble dealing with SIP digest authorization. Reasons for
this range from bugs in the SIP stack to wrong escapes for special
characters in configuration files generated for automated set provisioning.
I have written a Lua script that will allow me to enter credentials and
check if the digest hash in a SIP authorization line is indeed the correct
hash for those credentials.
I've written a proof of concept where this functionality is added to the
SIP dissector itself and I'm wondering whether this is appropriate to
submit for review or that these kind of diagnostics are better left in an
external script as it is not really a dissection of the packet.

So to clarify the purpose of the validation is twofold in my use cases:
1) Check SIP stack digest
2) Check config file builders are not escaping things like <> (in xml
config files) or other special characters in a wrong way
In both cases the digest hash will not match but as it's a hash it's not
possible to pinpoint the fault.

Regards,
Erik