Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Preferences dialog width - GTK interface

From: Peter Wu <peter () lekensteyn nl>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 15:29:30 +0100

On Mon, Feb 06, 2017 at 12:04:48PM +0100, Jaap Keuter wrote:

On 6 Feb 2017, at 07:43, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter () xs4all nl> wrote:

On 6 Feb 2017, at 00:08, Peter Wu <peter () lekensteyn nl> wrote:

On Sun, Feb 05, 2017 at 10:42:32PM +0100, Jaap Keuter wrote:
On 05-02-17 21:28, Alexis La Goutte wrote:

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 7:52 PM, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter () xs4all nl
<mailto:jaap.keuter () xs4all nl>> wrote:

  Hi,

  Does anyone else get ridiculous wide (as in over 2000 px wide) preference dialog
  on GTK development build?
  It seems that the new 'title only' preferences, of RDP, DAP, SAP, etc, are long
  lines, which are wrapped in the Qt interface, but not in the GTK interface.

Hi Jaap,

May be because user use now Qt ? ;-)

And now seriously?

I can reproduce this problem (with 2.0.5 and master
(v2.3.0rc0-2268-g9ffff86e8d) with GTK+ 3.77.2, the dialog is very wide.
I guess it has something to do with the children not being constrained
while the parent tries to adjust to the largest width.

Maybe setting the maximum width hint for the label would help? (No idea
how, would have to read the fine manual for that.)

Hi Peter,

Thanks for having a look.  Indeed we’ll need to tweak the preference label widget to word wrap, as does the Qt
version. Let’s see what we can find.

Hi,

I’ve rebuild and tested 2.0.11 to see how similar this is to master, since these long titles were only introduced
recently.
Indeed it’s not as bad as with master. In master-2.2 and master-2.0
the GTK preference dialogs are not as small as the Qt one, but well in
line with the application window (IMHO). The big change is in master,
where the GTK preferences dialog is much wider, wider than my single
screen.

So, the fact that this is not (yet) reported makes more sense now. Anyway, let’s see how we can reign in the GTK
preference dialog.

I actually had this earlier (before the recent changes), but did not
report it. It might have something to do with upgrading GTK+ to a newer
3.x version.
--
Kind regards,
Peter Wu