Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Checking address in WMEM

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 09:41:40 -0500

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Dario Lombardo <dario.lombardo.ml () gmail com
wrote:

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com> wrote:

What problem specifically are you trying to solve? There may be an easier
way.

Evan

The general problem is: a function takes a wmem string as input. This
function can do wmem_realloc, then I need the scope the variable lives in.
If the caller gives the wrong scope, I have a crash. The question is how
can I check that the variable is consistent with the provided scope?
Despite very expensive, I could have this check in debug only to reduce the
debug time.

Sounds like a crash is the *right* thing to do here, non?

Or are you looking for a way to make the crash easier to debug?