Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: extcap slowing down start of WS

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 18:07:57 +0100

Hi Anders,

Hi,

It now seems like extcap_register_preferences is the thing taking the
longest time when starting up Wireshark, at least on Window.

Any one care to take a look?

Presumably this is because for each extcap utility present in the extcap
folder, Wireshark will launch it to retrieve the preferences supported and
their default values. I'm not sure we can easily win time here (but I will
let extcap experts comment).
That's one of the reasons why I put the extcap utilities as optional in
Windows installer.

Pascal.