Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: MacOS 10.13 Beta (17A306f)

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 10:12:10 -0700

On Jul 24, 2017, at 2:30 AM, Simon Waters (Surevine) <simon.waters () surevine com> wrote:

Noted that the 2.4.0 build immediately crashes on 10.13 beta of Mac OS.

QWidget: Must construct a QApplication before a QWidget
Abort trap: 6

Do you have a full stack trace?

I got this at one point under 10.12; in that particular case, the problem was that we were trying to display a dialog
box before we'd constructed the main WiresharkApplication.

You can't call SimpleDialog::SimpleDialog() before you've constructed the main WiresharkApplication;
SimpleDialog::SimpleDialog() does tests to check whether the main WiresharkApplication has been constructed or not,
it's a subclass of QDialog, so it'll construct the QDialog - which is a QWidget - *before* doing the check.

So you can't call any of the simple_dialog functions before you've constructed the WiresharkApplication.

We probably need to have vsimple_error_message_box() do the check in question, and queue up the messages *itself* to
report if the WiresharkApplication hasn't been constructed yet.

Not the first Qt app to fail under 10.13, almost certainly a library mismatch.

Not necessarily; it could just be that, for whatever reason, Wireshark's trying to pop up a dialog from main() before
the

    /* Create The Wireshark app */
    WiresharkApplication ws_app(argc, qt_argv);

code in main().  *That* will fail on *any* version of *any* OS, not just macOS 10.13, and not just macOS.