Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: linux package requirements for wireshark build

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2017 20:22:10 -0700

On Jun 24, 2017, at 8:11 PM, Alan Partis <alpartis () thundernet com> wrote:

I'm running ./configure.

autoconf scripts write out, for debugging purposes, a "config.log" file.

 One of the lines of output from ./configure is:

"checking for inet_ntop... no"

One the Fedora 25 system, where I'm successful with the build, it says:

"checking for inet_ntop... yes"

So, if you look for that test in the config.log files on the two systems (searching for inet_ntop in the file should
find it), what is the output for the test in question in the two files?

I've looked through the wireshark developer's guide, and google'd all
around, but cannot find a list of required packages for building
wireshark.  If there is one, let me know.

Don't assume the problem is a missing package; it might be a bug in the configure script, so that it gets the wrong
answer to the "do I have inet_ntop" test, possibly combined with:

Today I'm trying it on a Fedora 24 system and I'm running into a
compilation error complaining about conflicting types for 'inet_ntop'

a bug in Wireshark's attempt to provide its own inet_ntop() on systems where the configure script thinks it's missing.