Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: rpcap support seems to have disappeared ...

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 11:38:24 -0800

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 11:11 AM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:
On Nov 11, 2017, at 11:06 AM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com> wrote:

Sure. The immediate problem though is that acinclude.m4 assumes that
checking for pcap_open is sufficient and required to enable
HAVE_PCAP_REMOTE.

If you don't have pcap_open(), you probably don't have remote support, which is why it's required.

I suppose it isn't "sufficient" in the sense that one could, in principle, build a version of libpcap that has
pcap_open() but that only supports local capture, but that's rather unlikely.

Having hacked my way around that, it is clear from the resulting build
failures that a more recent version of libpcap is required :-(

That's the universe's way of telling you that perhaps, sometimes, you should trust that autotools knows what it's
doing, and not try to hack around it. :-)

Well, I am trying to figure out the simplest required things to get
this working on Linux ...

Now that I have the latest version of libpcap from the repo built and
installed, I seem to have library issues, but I can figure those out

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe