Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: epan/asm_utils* and NASM

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 11:05:04 +0100

On 13 October 2017 at 21:50, Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org> wrote:

Before we migrated away from NMake, epan/Makefile.nmake built the assembly
versions of various routines for x86 (but not x64) defined in
epan/asm_utils_win32_x86.asm. Should we resurrect it in epan/CMakeLists.txt
or get rid of it along with the NASM download in tools/win-setup.ps1?

I was vaguely under the impression that compiler intrinsics were the way
forward for these kind of things and somewhere have a branch where I
started to play with them for VS.  Presumably we'd hide the compiler
specific implementations behind an abstraction.

However, I don't see much point in attempting to optimise things without
measuring what we're trying to optimise, i.e. we need some form of
benchmark.

--
Graham Bloice