Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: build problems with the latest pull

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 01:29:02 -0700

On Oct 17, 2017, at 1:06 AM, Eliot Lear <lear () ofcourseimright com> wrote:

OSX.  Clearly I'm doing something wrong.

Yes - you're using the configure script.  The configure script expects pkg-config to be able to find Qt, but, as the
Qt-for-macOS package doesn't install any .pc files, that doesn't work on macOS.

Use CMake, instead.  (It might also increase the chances that running the Wireshark that results from the build will
actually post its menu bar; I've had reasonable luck with that recently with autotools builds, but there have been
times when it didn't work, and I don't know what changed.  I've never had problems with CMake builds, but I haven't
been building much with CMake, so I don't know if that means it works better.)

And I was wrong twice, it doesn't build with 5.5 either.

5.5 installed buggy .pc files; the tools/macos-setup.sh script tried to fix them.  Perhaps the fix wasn't applied in
the installation process on your machine.

At some point, they simply stopped installing them, so the script doesn't have anything to fix.