Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: I have a 5.8GB capture and it is taking an enormous amount of time to load

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 12:23:43 -0800

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 10:05 PM Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Dec 10, 2018, at 8:18 PM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com> wrote:

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 8:11 PM Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Dec 10, 2018, at 5:16 PM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com> wrote:

The Wireshark process is only consuming about 1.7GB of memory at the
moment and 17% of CPU on my laptop with NVMe and oodles of memory and
a 4-core Xeon.

"At the moment" as in "after it finished loading, it's only consuming..." or "while it's loading, it's
consuming..."?

While it's loading it's consuming ...

So if it's using one core, 25% would mean it's eating up all of one core's worth of CPU time (although it may or may
not stay on that core).

However, if it's a threaded Xeon, that's 4 physical cores and 8 virtual cores, so 12.5% would be one core/one
thread's worth of CPU time.

So it's possible that Wireshark is using an entire thread for one core, and is CPU-bound.

It's actually worse than I thought. I actually now have two ~10GB
captures, one for each stream

After grabbing a slice of one around where I thing the problem is, I
see there seems to be one or more dropped packets. I may be able to
repair the breakage with something that is 'fake but accurate' and the
slice is only ~400MB which is more tractable.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe