Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Something that would be useful in Wireshark when dealing with dropped packets

From: Anders Broman <a.broman58 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2019 02:15:48 +0100

Den tis 1 jan. 2019 02:09 skrev Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>:

On Dec 31, 2018, at 5:05 PM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com>
wrote:

However, I think maybe I have discovered how to prevent that. Increase
the buffer size given to dumpcap (2GB or more.)

What happens if you use tcpdump rather than dumpcap?  At least at one
point (I think when the changes to libpcap to support memory-mapped packet
capture on Linux were being done, the person who made them did some tests
with and without memory-mapped capture with both tcpdump and dumpcap)
tcpdump lost significantly fewer packets than dumpcap (probably due to the
simpler capture code path).

It would be really interesting to see how the pull request to use dpdk
would perform too.
Regards
Anders