Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: extcap command line parameter format

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 10:54:54 -0700

On Jul 29, 2018, at 8:52 AM, Roland Knall <rknall () gmail com> wrote:

The main intent for extcap-version was to provide a way, so that we can change commands calling the utility without
loosing compatibility to older utilities. Mainly to introduce or change commands, like we did with the toolbar.

Presumably you mean "the main intent for *adding an option to --extcap-verson*" - there *already existed* a
--extcap-version argument, which told the extcap program to report its version:

        $ /Applications/Wireshark.app/Contents/MacOS/Wireshark --version
        Wireshark 2.6.1 (v2.6.1-0-g860a78b3)

        $ /Applications/Wireshark.app/Contents/MacOS/extcap/randpktdump --extcap-version
        extcap {version=0.1.0}{help=file:///usr/local/share/wireshark/randpktdump.html}