Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: mergecap truncated files

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 11:30:13 -0700

On Jun 17, 2018, at 3:00 PM, Catalin Patulea <cat () vv carleton ca> wrote:

I'm trying to merge a few pcap files, some of which are truncated. I'm
getting this error:
$ mergecap -a sip.pcap-201806* -w /tmp/out.pcap
mergecap: Error reading sip.pcap-20180616-111355: Less data was read
than was expected

That error message translates to "sip.pcap-20180616-111355 is truncated".

at this point, mergecap stops processing any later files. I would
prefer mergecap discard the truncated frame, and continue with next
files. I understand this will potentially lose some data, this is
appropriate for my application.

Is there any way to configure mergecap for this?

No.

If I write a patch
for an optional new command-line flag, is it likely to be accepted?

Possibly, although this would be a feature useful only to handle files damaged by being truncated; there's nothing
mergecap-specific about the issue of truncated files, so there's no particular reason why this should be a *mergecap*
feature, and there's already a way to deal with truncated files - you could use editcap to read sip.pap-20180616-111355
and write out a file containing all the complete packets in it, i.e.

        for i in sip.pcap-201806*
        do
                editcap "$i" "$i".cleanedup
        done
        mergecap -a sip.pcap-201806*.cleanedup -w /tmp/out.pcap