Wireshark mailing list archives

assertion failed: (init_process_policies_called)

From: Peter Wu <peter () lekensteyn nl>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 16:48:30 +0200

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 04:16:22PM +0200, Peter Wu wrote:

I was unsuccessful attempting this with a recent 2.6.0 build on a RHEL7 system as I was unable to get past this
error once WIRESHARK_DATA_DIR was set:
ERROR:privileges.c:153:started_with_special_privs: assertion failed: (init_process_policies_called)

… which I find odd because tshark was running from the build directory as a normal user, and anyway, tshark is only
reading a file, not capturing, so why should it care about special privileges anyway?

This is unrelated to the original issue, but it appears that something
is testing whether you are allowed to use that environment variable, but
it happens before "init_process_policies" is called.

And this actually happens in the extcap programs when "data_file_url" is
called to obtain the help page. Stack trace:

    started_with_special_privs () at wsutil/privileges.c:153
    get_datafile_dir () at wsutil/filesystem.c:841
    data_file_url (filename="randpktdump.html") at wsutil/filesystem.c:2178
    main (argc=3, argv=0x7fffffffe118) at extcap/randpktdump.c:139

Patches welcome I guess.
--
Kind regards,
Peter Wu