Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Does proto_deregister_field really work?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 12:04:15 -0700

On May 28, 2018, at 9:29 AM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com> wrote:

This is in relation to the radiotap headers for HE and HE-MU (and more).

"More" as in MCS, VHT, HE-MU-other-user, HE-MU, and HE, all of which have "known" flags.

The issue is that there are fields in those headers that are unknown
unless the appropriate known bit is set to true elsewhere in the
header.

The approach I took initially was to have two header types:

1. One for when the field was known, and
2. One for when the field was unknown where the search string had unknown in it

I would then use the appropriate HF in the code.

However, people have complained that this is weird.

My thinking was:

1. I don't like it when fields are not dissected, and
2. By using a different search string when a field is unknown we would
not get false positives (usually the field is 0, but 0 is usually also
a valid value wen the field is known.)

An alternative is to change the label associated with the field to
include the word unknown,

This is unwise.

A given named field shouldn't change its properties over time.

Don't do that.

Perhaps there should be a "not present in this packet" flag in the flags field of a field_info structure, which could
be set in these cases.  There might be other places where the bytes/bits for a given field are always present in the
packet, but are not used unless the "XXX is present" flag is set elsewhere in the packet.

(Perhaps there should also be a "the bits of this field do not constitute a valid value in the encoding used for the
field" flag, to use with, for example, invalid strings in the character encoding of a string.)