Wireshark mailing list archives

How to improve LUA dissector performance?

From: David Aldrich <david.aldrich.ntml () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2019 13:46:42 +0100

Hi
I have written a LUA dissector that analyses large packets that consist of
control information and  IQ data (complex numbers).  Until recently I
displayed the IQ data as a string and performance was fine. However, I now
dissect and display each IQ value and the user has complained of very slow
performance when analysing a large capture set of packets.

I imagined that dissection of the IQ data would only occur when the tree
was expanded to display that data.  The reported slowness suggests that the
data for all packets is always dissected regardless of whether or not the
data is viewed. Is that correct?

Apart from re-coding as a C++ dissector (a lot of work) how could I
optimise the current LUA code?

Could I add a switch to control whether or not IQ data is dissected?

Best regards

David