Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Suppress [TCP segment of a reassembled PDU] in COL_INFO

From: <david_aggeler () hispeed ch>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 11:05:11 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Wireshark-dev <wireshark-dev-bounces () wireshark org> On Behalf
Of Guy Harris
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 8:58 PM
To: Developer support list for Wireshark <wireshark-dev () wireshark org>
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Suppress [TCP segment of a reassembled PDU]
in COL_INFO

On Feb 10, 2019, at 11:44 AM, <david_aggeler () hispeed ch>
<david_aggeler () hispeed ch> wrote:

I’m cleaning up the re-assembly in the DICOM decoder (I haven’t
touched it for years, so it was overdue) DICOM data elements are usually
pretty big, and I need more than TCP level re-assembly.

To have COL_INFO focus on what is relevant for DICOM, I’d like to suppress
the postfix of “[TCP segment of a reassembled PDU]”.

From the screenshot, I suspect the problem is that the frame in question
contains data from more than one DICOM PDU, so that it contains the last
octets of one DICOM PDU and the beginning octets of another PDU, and
that, at the TCP reassembly layer, more data is needed for the second PDU.

So, technically, that frame is a TCP segment of a (to be-)reassembled PDU.

That is correct. All of the frames flagged as '[TCP segment of a reassembled PDU]' are part of two DICOM PDUs

However, given that it's the finishing segment of a PDU, at a layer above TCP,
and thus would have information about *that* PDU, the fact that it also
happens to be the first TCP segment of the PDU following that PDU is not of
interest.

Ok. I can agree to that. This is the behavior since I know it, and I kind of assumed that
it job of the next level dissector to deal with it.

Note that, except in the first paragraph, I didn't use the name "DICOM" - i.e.,
this isn't a problem with DICOM, it's a problem with the TCP dissector; that's
where the "[TCP segment of a reassembled PDU]” is generated, and that's
where it needs to be suppressed.

Please file a bug on that (and don't speak of it as a DICOM-specific problem,
as the same problem could occur with any other protocol that runs over TCP).

I've submitted  bug 15494 and attached the .pcap in question.