Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Bug in tvb_find_guint8

From: Roland Knall <rknall () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 08:42:58 +0100

Hi

Thanks for this investigation. Please submit a patch through gerrit (http://code.wireshark.org/review) for proper
review. See the “Send us your code” section at https://www.wireshark.org/develop.html

Kind regards
Roland

Am 12.01.2019 um 02:32 schrieb Jan Venekamp <jan () venekamp net>:

Hi,

I think there is a bug in tvb_find_guint8 so that it could return a wrong value that can even be outside of the tvb
len. When recursively going up through subset tvbs (tvb->ops->tvb_find_guint8) it does not account for the difference
in offset between the subsets.

Attached is a patch I have written that seems to work. However, to be honest I am fairly new to Wireshark development
and do not understand tvbuff very well. It would be better if somebody who understands the inner workings of tvbuff
looks into this.

Kind regards,
Jan Venekamp
<tvb_find_guint8.patch>