Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Calculating CRC5 of 11-bit data

From: Tomasz Moń <desowin () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 07:37:48 +0200

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 8:42 PM John Sullivan <jsethdev () kanargh org uk> wrote:
One of the properties of LFSRs is that a 1 bit in the input toggles a
completely predictable set of register bits *at any point in the
future*. This isn't often useful for most CRC caculations on variable
sized input, as the cost of working out which those bits are vastly
outweighs most other methods.

This is very interesting property! Thanks John!

But here we have a fixed 11 bit input

I am sorry, but I have completely missed out there there are two
places where CRC5 is calculated:
* In SETUP, OUT, IN, PING and SOF the CRC5 is calculated on 11 bits
* In SPLIT the CRC5 is calculated on 19 bits

static const char ival = 0x08;

This looks like swapped bit order to me. The CRC5 value for 11-bits of
0 is 0x02.