Wireshark mailing list archives

Final suggestions regarding GSoD Proposal

From: Sunil Kumar Singh <sunilks5963 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 10:13:35 +0530

Dear Team,
I wish to contribute to Wireshark via GSoD. Before finalizing my proposal,
I wish to know your views regarding my targets. Please feel free to suggest
anything. The following are issues I wish to solve:

*1. Improvements in Developer’s Guide:*
- Revise new contributions to the guide. Write a friction log and fix all
the discovered issues.
- Improve the Quick Setup by concisely rewriting the content.

*2. Improvements in User’s Guide:*
- Create a quick start for the new Wireshark users to help them launch
Wireshark and understand basic packet details.
(I would like to know what kind of quickstart Wireshark team would prefer:)
(i) A step by step guide using QT Help.
(ii) A step by step guide using GIFs instead of Screenshots like this:<
https://pbblogassets.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2016/08/Effects-Workspace.gif>
OR Any suggestions you might have.
- Document common use cases and add tutorials by using one of the above
methods.
- Use GIFs(as mentioned above) instead of Screenshots wherever possible.
- Completing the missing documentation.

*3. Revision of all Documentation:*
- Proofread and review Man Pages, Wiki(GitLab and MoinMoin, and the Guides
for clarity and accuracy.

*4. Improvements in Wiki:*
- Remove ambiguity in User’s Guide and Wiki.
- Move Wireshark-specific guidance from Wiki to the guide.
- Reorganize and format information to facilitate the migration of old wiki
to GitLab and to make it more accessible.[if time permits]