Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Windows uninstaller doesn't remove translations.

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 01:01:34 -0700

On Mar 25, 2020, at 5:26 PM, Maynard, Chris via Wireshark-dev <wireshark-dev () wireshark org> wrote:

I’m building Wireshark on Windows, but I’ve upgraded Qt to 5.12.7.  Everything is fine except when uninstalling
Wireshark.  It seems that Wireshark now installs the translations in C:\Program Files\Wireshark\styles\translations,
but this directory isn’t removed during the un-installation process.

Are they removed with, for example, one of the automated builds of the same branch you're building?

If not, then

Well, for what it’s worth, in case anyone else encounters this, I modified packaging\nsis\uninstall.nsi as follows,
which fixes this [for me]:

Delete "$INSTDIR\styles\*.*"
Delete "$INSTDIR\styles\translations\*.*"

RMDir "$INSTDIR\share"
RMDir "$INSTDIR\styles\translations"

perhaps that fix is a general fix.

Or perhaps what needs to be done is to get rid of all of the Delete commands that refer to $INSTDIR\styles and just do

        RMDir/r "$INSTDIR\styles"

to just completely blow away the "styles" directory?

        https://nsis.sourceforge.io/Docs/Chapter4.html#registry

"4.9.1.9 RMDir

[/r] [/REBOOTOK] directory_name

Remove the specified directory (fully qualified path with no wildcards). Without /r, the directory will only be removed
if it is completely empty. If /r is specified the directory will be removed recursively, so all directories and files
in the specified directory will be removed. If /REBOOTOK is specified, any file or directory which could not be removed
during the process will be removed on reboot -- if any file or directory will be removed on a reboot, the reboot flag
will be set. The error flag is set if any file or directory cannot be removed.

RMDir $INSTDIR
RMDir $INSTDIR\data
RMDir /r /REBOOTOK $INSTDIR
RMDir /REBOOTOK $INSTDIR\DLLs"

Or is the /r flag a new addition, and we still support versions of NSIS without it?