Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Proposed changes to make tcp.ack and tcp.seq relative

From: Jim Aragon <Jim () agdatasystems com>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 09:12:28 -0700

On 5/7/2020 3:56 PM, Peter Wu wrote:

You can achieve the same packet list view even after the proposed
change, it is just not controlled through the preference. After this
change, you can add two columns, tcp.seq and tcp.seq_raw. Then toggle
visibility of either column to match the desired view. This could be
stored in a configuration profile if desired.

That seems like more work than just toggling the preference.

I think that the consistent value of a tcp.seq/tcp.ack field has
benefits, it has been requested by at least one user. In what real
workflow would this change make your life significantly more difficult?
Thanks for your feedback!

"Significantly" more difficult? No. But it would not be my preference.
If the majority of the community is for this proposal, I can live with
it and Wireshark life will go on.

Jim