Wireshark mailing list archives

Deleting unused header file inclusions (revisited)

From: Martin Mathieson via Wireshark-dev <wireshark-dev () wireshark org>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 20:59:28 +0100

Hi,

Do we want to prune unnecessary header file inclusions?  In
https://code.wireshark.org/review/#/c/37210/, I have updated
tools/delete_includes.py and run it on epan/dissectors.

There are some uncontroversial ones I think, e.g. including <stdio.h> where
it isn't needed (maybe someone added some printf() calls and forgot to
delete it)?

There are quite a few where a dissector references the header file of
another dissector,  but usually only ends up extern'ing the proto entry. or
looking up the dissector by name.

But then there are header files that I think maybe it used to be necessary
to explicitly include but now are hard to avoid pulling in.  Just by
including epan.h, you will already have prefs.h, so there is no need to
explicitly include it.  In that case would you rather see it explicitly be
included?  For me, my IDE will jump to the header file anyway (I tend to
copy code from another dissector then include the header file if I need to).

The changes in gerrit are somewhere in the middle -  I am removing some
header files where they are really not used (e.g. epan/expert.h), but
leaving in e.g. epan/tap.h.  Because it took quite a few hours to run, the
changes don't exactly correspond to the script, but they are close.

I am not emotionally attached to this change, though I would like to commit
the updated script and at least the most obvious ones.  I doubt it will
make a measurable difference to compile-time, but it was my very first
python script and it previously only worked with automake rather than cmake
:)

Best regards,
Martin