Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: question regarding merge request workflow

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 17:02:03 +0000

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 at 16:44, Robert Frohl <rfrohl () suse com> wrote:

Hi wireshark devs,

in my role as wireshark maintainer for openSUSE/SUSE I go a request for
SMCD(v2) protocol support. Which has a pending merge request [0]. With
the recent 3.4.0 release I suspect that the only option to fullfill this
request on short notice is a backport to 3.4.

I was wondering how these merge requests are usually handled process
wise. Is there an indication that the change is looking good and might
be accepted? There is no detailed description of what to look for, that
I could find (found only [1]).

What is the potential timeline of such a review ?

There's no rule, it's as and when a volunteer gets around to looking at it.

A lack of a capture file to test the results of the change probably isn't
helping.

Note that if this MR is merged it would be to master.  Ordinarily this
wouldn't be backported to 3.4 as that's now the stable branch that only
gets bugfixes, not enhancements, so would only be available in the nightly
builds, development builds or a locally built version.

Details of releases can be found on the wiki LifeCycle page:
https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/wikis/Development/LifeCycle
and the release policy can be found at:
https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/wikis/Development/ReleasePolicy

Thanks,
Robert

[0] https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/merge_requests/795
[1]

https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/wikis/Development/SubmittingPatches#the-review-process
--
Security Engineer/wireshark maintainer, SUSE Software Solutions Germany
GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, GF: Felix Imendörffer (HRB 36809,

--
Graham Bloice