Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: So how are fixes cherry-picked to release branches?

From: John Thacker <johnthacker () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2020 07:40:10 -0400

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 4:03 AM Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net> wrote:

Searching for "cherry" on the Wiki finds these pages:

https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/wikis/Development/Backporting

https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/wikis/Development/Workflow

https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/wikis/Development/SubmittingPatches/Git-Review

all of which contain the name "Gerrit".

We should probably update those to reflect whatever the new procedure is.

The new procedure for cherry-picking is elucidated in:

https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/wikis/Development/SubmittingPatches#backporting-a-change-to-a-release-branch

The Roadmap page (
https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/wikis/Development/Roadmap)
previously had a link to
the Backporting page, but I moved the link to the subsection of
Development/SubmittingPatches.

The three pages you list above are, from what I can tell by searching the
Wiki, now orphen pages that nothing else in the Wiki links to. I don't
think that they contain any useful unique information now either (possibly
the "Background" section in Development/Workflow, though that could go
elsewhere), so the pages could be deleted. Someone with greater permission
than me has to do that.

John