Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: (1) building Wireshark in build.wireshark fails, (2) how to get dissector details without packet

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 13:20:15 -0700

On Apr 15, 2021, at 8:10 AM, Vincent Randal <vtrandal () gmail com> wrote:

Where is the build log?

In the file to which you redirected the standard output and error of the make command - or the file created by tee, if
piped the standard output and error of the make command to "tee errs" so that the errors are printed *and* get written
to the file "errs".

If you *haven't* redirected the output, it's in your terminal window, so you might be able to scroll back to find the
error.  (I presume nobody uses *real* terminals these days. :-))

As I scroll back I can see the output shown below. It actually says "Built target qtui" which I reported incorrectly
as failing to build qtui. Is there more than one qtui build target?

No, there shouldn't be.

when make fails the build output prior to "Built target qtui" looks like this:
at the very end we get this:
[ 84%] Building CXX object ui/qt/CMakeFiles/qtui.dir/wlan_statistics_dialog.cpp.o

[ 85%]
Building C object ui/qt/CMakeFiles/qtui.dir/wireshark-tap-register.c.o

[ 85%]
Building CXX object ui/qt/CMakeFiles/qtui.dir/qtui_autogen/mocs_compilation.cpp.o

[ 85%]
Building CXX object ui/qt/CMakeFiles/qtui.dir/qtui_autogen/EF4ICWSDIF/qrc_about.cpp.o

[ 85%]
Building CXX object ui/qt/CMakeFiles/qtui.dir/qtui_autogen/NQCY4LEWD2/qrc_languages.cpp.o

[ 85%]
Building CXX object ui/qt/CMakeFiles/qtui.dir/qtui_autogen/EF4ICWSDIF/qrc_layout.cpp.o

[ 85%]
Building CXX object ui/qt/CMakeFiles/qtui.dir/qtui_autogen/EF4ICWSDIF/qrc_stock_icons.cpp.o

[ 85%]
Building CXX object ui/qt/CMakeFiles/qtui.dir/qtui_autogen/EF4ICWSDIF/qrc_wsicon.cpp.o

[ 85%]
Building CXX object ui/qt/CMakeFiles/qtui.dir/qtui_autogen/EJRQKI7XPS/qrc_i18n.cpp.o

[ 85%] Built target qtui
make: *** [all] Error 2

There might be an error further back.  That's why sending the build output to a file is useful - you can then, for
example, open the file in a text editor and look for the word "error" (note that some source files may have "error" in
their names, so skip them).