Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: ISO-8601 date support

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 14:00:35 +0100

Hello Jaap,

On Fri, Dec 03, 2021 at 12:28:23PM +0100, Jaap Keuter wrote:
With commit a0173cd7 you’ve added ISO-8601 date support to text2pcap.
The “Import from Hex dump...” feature of Wireshark is supposed to be equally capable.
Would you be able to add this capability there as well?

While I agree that this would make sense, the C++ code looks so different, that I don't
know where to add this code (and it doesn't help that I don't understand C++ beyond simple
C).

In order for this to really behave the same, the acutual parsing funtionality should
probably be in code used by both text2pcap and the GUI and be put into the ui/ folder,
where we keep code common to CLI and QT. Also, it would be nice if the Regular Expression
feature from 8c1b29a597764cd3e4 could be ported back to the CLI as well.

So if anyone feels like refactoring these things into common code, that would make sense
from my point of view, but there is really not much I can achieve while only spending a
sensible amount of time.

Kind regards
    Jörg

--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer () loplof de>