Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Improvments for NVMeOF dissector

From: "Constantine Gavrilov" <CONSTG () il ibm com>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 15:25:42 +0200

Pascal, thank you again.

Two days is not the end of the world. Initial review has taken one week,
and that was a bit long for me, but it is not the end of the world either.
Anders comment was a good answer, because he said that he could not do it,
and he did exactly what I asked -- he has let me know.

It is more a problem of setting the expectations. Perhaps, I do not
understand how the process works. But after investing many hours and
before continuing to do so, I need to know one thing -- that my work is
getting noticed and will be eventually considered. It is even OK that it
is eventually rejected.

As I have said, there is no assignment process, not for the contributor.
Even if someone comments on the MR, it is not changing status, and I
cannot expect the same person to continue the review. I simply do not know
what to expect.

Is opening a merge request sufficient guarantee that someone will look
into this? Shall I request on the list? Perhaps there are certain core
developers who are more invested in RDMA/NVMEoF whom I shall ask?

The uniqueness of the situation here is that I would like to make
significant contributions, and I can move fast. I am not saying people
shall accommodate me, I am just saying that I want and I need to move
fast.  Having a private tree that is far "ahead" of development tree is a
burden for me because of changes and review fixes. So, I would like to ask
again "How can make it better, if I have a lot of code to contribute in a
particular area -- NVMEoF?". Is core developer access out of the question?

--
Constantine Gavrilov
Storage Architect