Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Display filter field variables

From: chuck c <bubbasnmp () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 10:31:43 -0500

Display Filter Macros of currently selected packet fields
https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/wikis/DFilterMacro

https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/commit/9865b6346f6442bc8326cde55e5f012250748131

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 10:10 AM João Valverde via Wireshark-dev <
wireshark-dev () wireshark org> wrote:

Hi,

The GUI display filter has an interesting but little-known (?) feature
to replace field values for the selected frame with the syntax
${<field>}, which I only learned about in bug #15504, and confused me at
first. This all happens before the expression is compiled and is
different from display filter macros.

Does anyone know more about this? And where it is implemented in the GUI
code?