Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: USB Attached SCSI dissector

From: Aidan MacDonald via Wireshark-dev <wireshark-dev () wireshark org>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 15:29:33 +0000

On Monday, October 25th, 2021 at 3:57 PM, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) <smith.kennedy () hp com> wrote:
The "Universal Serial Bus Common Class Specification"
(https://usb.org/sites/default/files/usbccs10.pdf)
discusses matching "drivers" to devices based on the device's or
interface's class, subclass and protocol.

I would suggest that, for USB, dissector matching for USB could adopt
elements of this methodology to make it easier or more clear how to add
support for new subclasses or protocols under a particular class.

I think this is a good idea. I just wanted to avoid doing a refactor
of all the other USB dissectors in order to add one. :)

Is there another protocol in Wireshark that deals with a similar case,
which I could pattern this off of? If not, the obvious approach would
be to have a routine which looks at the interface info (if we have it)
and call the right dissector directly. Or I could indirect it through
dissector_try_uint() by having an enum of all available dissectors.