Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: pod2adoc and the man pages

From: Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 16:10:44 -0700

On 9/25/21 9:59 AM, Gerald Combs wrote:
On 9/25/21 1:17 AM, Jaap Keuter wrote:
Hi,

In reference to https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/merge_requests/4294

What is supposed to happen to the man pages themselves? Will they now be generated from the AsciiDoc files? I think I’m
missing the point to this change.

The man pages themselves would be generated using Asciidoctor's man page backend[1]. The primary advantage of the change is
that we would use the same markup for all of our documentation, but this would also make it easier to include the Wireshark
version if needed and other things that POD doesn't directly support.

The MR in its current form should definitely not be merged. I intentionally left the .pod versions of each man page in
place in order to make it easier to compare with the .adoc version. Assuming no one strongly objects to this, the next
steps would be

- Add a ASCIIDOCTOR2MAN macro to cmake/modules/FindAsciidoctor.cmake.
- Make the necessary changes doc/CMakeLists.txt.
- Remove the .pod files

It would probably make sense to consolidate the man pages and guides into the same directory as well.

[1]https://docs.asciidoctor.org/asciidoctor/latest/manpage-backend/

The MR should be ready to go now, and I plan on merging it tomorrow. Note that this will Asciidoctor a requirement for
packaging.