Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: how to search all machines on a network.

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 14:47:59 -0800

From: YashPal Singh <ysingh () quark co in>
How we can search all the alive machines on the network. Say my
network is 10.60.0.0 to 10.60.255.255. So what are the different ways
(pros and cons) to search all the machines.

There are a bunch of different ways to do this depending on your knowledge, available resources, reason for searching, etc. The first one that comes to mind for me is to write a perl script using an incremented loop and the ping command. Of course that will only return a list of all the machines that have icmp echo enabled. NMAP is supposed to be good at this too but I haven't played with it much.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Live dangerously, overclock your servers."