Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: how to search all machines on a network.

From: Gene <gyoo () attbi com>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 23:22:14 -0800

make sure you let your network folks know that you're going to run any type of tool. superscan is very loud on the network, and make sure you're not setting off any ids sensors. superscan will light up like x-mas tree in your network.

windows:  run tcpview and see what happens when you run "shareware" scanners

nix:  run iptraf/ntop and you'll see the nice graph light up like x-mas tree

there are just way too many tools out there but make sure you understand what you're doing before setting off other "responsible" peers work load :)...

what kind of client recon you doing it for? mixed?

Graepel, Mark D - CNF wrote:
Foundstone tool called SuperScan works quite well.