Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: File Monitoring Program

From: Will Munkara-Kerr <WillM () cs nsw gov au>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 10:28:08 +1100

Greetings and Salutations:

I have been scouring www.google.com, www.securityfocus.com,
and www.ussrback.com for information containing a program
that will log all file access on a win2k server. I have found
nothing that will meet the requirements I am searching for.

Basically, I would like to know if anyone knows of a program
that can monitor file activity, from an .exe down to the .dll
that will show the time/date of activity and the
username/login name of the person attempting to access the
file. If it could be configured to only monitor a certain
drive or even a certain folder that would be great.

I know that I can do it with the built-in Auditing feature in
Win2k, but I would like something a bit more robust and
easier to give to my administration.

GFI LANguard System Integrity Monitor for windows 2k.
Freeware download available...
http://www.gfi.com/lansim/

Hope its kind of what you're looking for. I have used it (not extensively),
and it worked fine.

---
| will munkara-kerr
| ssinct.freeshell.org/pubkey.txt

"This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
destroy it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those
of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the Central
Sydney Area Health Service."