Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: File Monitoring Program

From: "Richard H. Cotterell" <seec () mail retina ar>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 21:04:05 -0300

I take it that the interested party is running a Windows OS.  If that is
correct, then I would suggest he look for *Syslog* by H. Nielisse.

That will give him all registered changes to ANY file on the system but
it is not designed to also tell who provokes the changes.  :-)  Perhaps,
he would need an offical sleuths from some agency in the vicinity of the
center of hallucinations and make believe (that's the DC area, right?) to
stand by the machine on a 24 hour watch.  :-)

Xmas cheers!

Richard

Ref: H C <keydet89 () yahoo com>'s
     message dated 12 December 2002, 11:05 hours.

Basically, I would like to know if anyone knows of a
program
that can monitor file activity, from an .exe down to
the .dll
that will show the time/date of activity and the
username/login name of the person attempting to
access the
file. If it could be configured to only monitor a
certain
drive or even a certain folder that would be great.

For all those who recommended FileMon from
SysInternals...

It's definitely a good suggestion, BUT the OP
specifically asked for a couple of things, in
particular the username/login of whomever is accessing
the file, and the ability to configure the tool to
monitor ONLY a particular drive or folder.

Filemon will monitor a drive, but if someone knows how
to get it to monitor a folder, please post that.
Also, if someone knows how to get username info,
please post that as well.  Otherwise, this tool, as
useful as it is, does NOT, in fact, perform the
requested functions.