Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Protect folder data.

From: "Meritt James" <meritt_james () bah com>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:10:52 -0500

As the sole protection.  Think "defense in depth".

Jim

Margles Singleton wrote:

I wouldn't advise excel password protection - that's very easy to break
- and it's not encryption, it's just password protection.

mas

"Rick Darsey" <rdarsey () aims1 com> 11/26/02 08:03AM >>>
What format is the data in?  Excel will let you password protect a
workbook.

You can also turn on encryption in Windows 2000. You have to be
running
NTFS. If you setup encryption on your system, and password protect the
Admin
user, the the only way someone can open the file is to set them up
with
rights to the file, or as a Encrypted File Recovery Agent on your
local
system. Depending on your network security, this may work. If the
Network
Admin has set the domain to override local policies, he may still have
access to it.  If this is not the case, then he would have to have
Administrative rights to your system.

Rick