Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: [Re-post] Suggestions for basic software for security

From: "GSimmonds" <gsimmonds () primus ca>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 17:21:05 -0500

I would like to have some suggestion for software for security (port
scan, firewall, etc.); I have a Pentium III, 256 Mb of RAM, 20 GB of Hd,
dialup connection (I should upgrade to cable connection in few days) and
WinME (I am thinking to upgrade to XP).

Hello,

You mentioned using ZoneAlarm, you could try an app like Kerio. It won't
teach you security per se, but it'll educate you on TCP/IP. Along the same
lines, you could play around with a sniffer, Commview is pretty good. You
can analyze the packets that are coming and going.

Diagnostic sw like regmon and filemon from sysinternals.com, TDImon is good
for monitering your port usage. And look around for a task manager, TaskInfo
Pro is good, to see whats running on your system.

Regards,

Gary