Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Protect folder data.

From: Steve Cooper <steve () nuclear-monkeys co uk>
Date: 19 Nov 2002 22:16:44 +0000

PGP, pretty good privacy is a good freeware utillity, try here
http://www.pgpi.org/ for some free versions. It can encrypt files but
i'm not sure about folders it can also sign and encrypt e-mails or news
group postings.
In short you have 2 keys, a public and a private. You encrypt files
using the public key then you use the private key (_ONLY_ you have the
private key) to decrypt the data, when decrypting with the private key
you are also asked for your password. Also if you have admin rights to
your PC then you can change the security on the folder to only allow
your user account access to the folder or files that you have encrypted.