Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Survey: Chat and IM

From: ONEILL David J <David.J.Oneill () state or us>
Date: 25 Nov 2002 13:56:25 -0800

Good Luck ...  We got shot down in Flames, no matter how we packaged it.

David J. O'Neill
NEDSS - IS7
Parkway Bldg., 2nd Floor
Phone: (503) 378-2101 ext. 364
FAX:     (503) 378-2102

tony572001 () hotmail com 11/25/02 01:48PM >>>

Hi,

We currently are allowing web based chat and instant messaging.  I know that
there are lots of security issues involved with its usage.  The IT folks are
telling me that it is a common practice in the industry.  I have a hard time
believing this and this is one battle I would like to take on.

QUESTION:  DOES YOUR COMPANY ALLOW WEB BASED CHAT AND INSTANT MESSAGING?  If
this was a battle you fought, could you please give me some ideas on how you
won the battle.  Any good articles/white papers that could support my
position?

Toni CISSP, CPA
Security Services
NW Mutural Banking LTD